Monday, January 7, 2013

Honoring History

     As those of you who have already read The Sanctity Of Love And War know, the character of Mark Linton is based in part on my father's cousin, Anthony Francis "Frank" Gilroy who, during the Battle of Leyte Gulf in 1944 earned the Navy Cross for his heroism.  In honor of him, the character of Mark was created.  Frank is now 93 years old and lives on Long Island.  He was the first person to whom a book was given.  Soon after, I received a phone call from his daughter.  She wanted to tell me that while her father appreciated the fact that a character was created because of his actions during WWII, in his own eyes he did not do anything extraordinary.  In fact, he had his daughter tell me that he felt he did just as other men in his generation were called to do -- no more, no less.  It was another reminder to me of how humble and great Frank's generation was -- and how those who still remain still are. As I said in the Author's Notes at the back of the book: I am forever indebted (as we all are) to that great generation.  Writing the book was my small way to honor them and the deeds they accomplished during that most critical time in our collective history.  Frank is a living reminder of what we can and should aspire to be.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment